Medical Laboratory Technology is generally concerned with diagnosis, treatment and prevention with use of pathological tests. As vital members of health care team, Lab Technicians play a key role in collecting information to provide best care to the patients.
Certificate in Medical Laboratory Technology (CMLT)/PCL in Medical Lab Technology program of CTEVT creates and fosters skilled health professionals in clinical laboratory science for diagnosis of diseases that decide the life of individuals who may be the only breadwinner of the family or the only child of his/her parents. Students who enroll for this program will be provided theoretical as well as practical knowledge of different clinical laboratory techniques.
CMLT course is based on the academic requirements to enter into bachelor level health sciences as well as able to provide diagnostic laboratory services as a middle level human health resource. After completion of the course the graduate is expected to perform laboratory procedures as per assigned by Nepal Health Professional council independently at different level health institutions in Nepal and abroad.
CMLT program is three academic years’ duration. The first year course focuses on basic science and foundation subjects, the second year course focuses on basic laboratory subject theory/practical simultaneously and the third year is given to the application of learned skills and knowledge within the comprehensive practical settings, in hospitals and medical laboratory.
Program aims and objectives
The course aims to produce middle level medical laboratory technology personnel with sound academic knowledge equipped with perfect technical skills that can face real life situation at the level they are aimed at. The course enables students to:
- Perform routine and special laboratory investigations on clinical and non-clinical samples independently.
- Interpret the results and explain underlying principles in each investigation.
- Prepare reagents required for routine and special investigations.
- Set up clinical laboratory in primary health centre and district level.
- Practice quality control system in medical laboratory to deliver quality laboratory service.
- Perform middle level laboratory management works, supervision of subordinates and preparation of reports.
- Assist in research works.
The entry criteria are:
- SLC with 45% in aggregate with English, Science and Mathematics as compulsory subjects and TSLC in Lab Technology with first division or grade ‘C’ in C. Mathematics, C. English and C. Sciencein Secondary Education Examination (SEE) from recognized academic institution and an average GPA of at least 1.5
- Passed entrance examination administered by CTEVT
- Applicant should submit the following documents at the time of application SLC pass certificate, Character certificate, Citizenship certificate (for the name, parents name, age, date of birth and address verification purpose only)
- Physical fitness certificate (at the time of admission)
- Student quota for different category of students as per the policy of CTEVT
Medium of instruction
The languages of instruction are:
- English and
The CMLS program extends to over three academic years. One academic year consists of 39 academic weeks and one academic week consists of 32 to 37 hours.
This course is based on the academic requirements to enter into bachelor level health sciences as well as able to provide diagnostic laboratory services as a middle level human health resource. After completion of the course the graduate is expected to perform laboratory procedures as per assigned by Nepal Health Professional council independently at different level health institutions in Nepal and abroad. The program is three academic years’ duration. The first year course focuses on basic science and foundational subjects, the second year course focuses on basic laboratory subject theory/practical simultaneously and the third year is given to the application of learned skills and knowledge within the comprehensive practical settings, in hospitals and medical laboratory.
Instructional media and materials
The following instructional media and materials are suggested for the effective instruction and demonstration.
- Printed Media Materials (Assignment sheets, Case studies, Handouts, Information sheets, Individual training packets, Procedure sheets, Performance Check lists, Textbooks etc.)
- Non-projected Media Materials (Display, Models, Flip chart, Poster, Writing board etc.)
- Projected Media Materials (Opaque projections, Overhead transparencies, Slides etc.)
- Audio-Visual Materials (Audiotapes, Films, Slide-tape programs, Videodiscs, Videotapes etc.)
- Computer-Based Instructional Materials (Computer-based training, Interactive video etc.)
Professional practice / field visit provision
The details of professional practice and field visit are as follows:
- Consists of 6 months duration at the end of the course.
- Professional practice (Field practice) should be conducted in hospital Laboratories or research centers recognized by Ministry of Health or concerned government authority.
- Provision of at least one teacher in the institution where field visit is conducted- either from the concerned institute or the hospital/centre itself.
Teaching learning methodology
The methods of teachings in the CHLS (Certificate in Health Laboratory Science) programme will be a combination of several approaches. Such approaches can be Illustrated Lecture, Group Discussion, Demonstration, Simulation, Guided practice, Practical experiences, Fieldwork, Laboratory, Observation, Hospital visit, Term paper presentation, Case analysis, Tutoring, Role playing, Heuristic and Other Independent learning.
- Theory: Lecture, Discussion, Assignment, Group work
- Practical: Demonstration, observation and Self practice,
The council for technical education and vocational training will award certificate in “Certificate Level in Medical Health Laboratory Science” to the candidate who successfully completes the requirements as prescribed by the council.
The graduates will be eligible for the position equivalent to Non-gazetted 5th level (technical) as Medical Lab Technician or as prescribed by the Public Service Commission. The graduate is eligible for registration with the Nepal Health Professional Council in the grade as mentioned in the Nepal Health Professional Council Act.