Medical Laboratory Technology is generally concerned with diagnosis, treatment and prevention with use of pathological tests. As vital members of health care team, Lab Technicians play a key role in collecting information to provide best care to the patients.
Certificate in Medical Laboratory Technology (CMLT)/PCL in Medical Lab Technology program of CTEVT creates and fosters skilled health professionals in clinical laboratory science for diagnosis of diseases that decide the life of individuals who may be the only breadwinner of the family or the only child of his/her parents. Students who enroll for this program will be provided theoretical as well as practical knowledge of different clinical laboratory techniques.
CMLT course is based on the academic requirements to enter into bachelor level health sciences as well as able to provide diagnostic laboratory services as a middle level human health resource. After completion of the course the graduate is expected to perform laboratory procedures as per assigned by Nepal Health Professional council independently at different level health institutions in Nepal and abroad.
CMLT program is three academic years’ duration. The first year course focuses on basic science and foundation subjects, the second year course focuses on basic laboratory subject theory/practical simultaneously and the third year is given to the application of learned skills and knowledge within the comprehensive practical settings, in hospitals and medical laboratory.
Program aim and Objectives
The course aims to produce middle level medical laboratory technology personnel with sound academic knowledge equipped with perfect technical skills who can face real life situation at the level they are aimed at. The course enables students to:
• Perform routine and special laboratory investigations on clinical and non-clinical samples independently.
• Interpret the results and explain underlying principles in each investigation.
• Prepare reagents required for routine and special investigations.
• Set up clinical laboratory in primary health centre and district level.
• Practice quality control system in medical laboratory to deliver quality laboratory service.
• Perform middle level laboratory management works, supervision of subordinates and preparation of reports.
• Assist in research works.
Secured at least grade in Mathematics, English and Science in School leaving Certificate (SLC) examination from recognized academic institution and at least grade in Mathematics, English and Science “c” grade with average GPA of at least 2.